The Canadian Girl Who Went Up a Mountain and Came Down a Hill!*



"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity." -John Muir

This morning we headed out the door and drove to the base of Pistol Hill, only minutes from our house in Vail. We are blessed with numerous choices for our daily walk.


You can tell by the colours that we were getting early morning sunshine.

"Sunrise over the mountain-forest was gorgeous. Aurora brushing out her golden tresses with a comb of dark-needled pine and bare limbed oak." 
-J. Aleksandr Wootten


My eyes are always on the alert for rocks that are shaped like hearts. This one was too large to be carried back. I must satisfy myself with photos of found treasures, sometimes.


Looking ahead against our little Pistol Hill I could see Rincon Peak, the mountain Sherwin tackled last week.


And looking back we could see how close we truly were to home.

Soon we were on top! Hallelujah!


"Succeeding, whatever that may mean to you, is hard, and the need to do so constantly renews itself (success is like a mountain that keeps growing ahead of you while you hike it)." 
-George Saunders




Some people have built a cairn to commemorate their 'success'.
I was more interested in the legal monument...


It says, "Pima County, Mon 3". Tah Dah!! 


We looked all around us on every side and then...


turned around and headed down again.


Looking back I could see it is a small hill but I was happy to have conquered it.


As I hauled my walking stick, camera, water jugs and jacket back to the front door I saw neighbour Char had a little visitor on her tree. I stood there, transfixed by the tiny bird, then said to myself, "Good heavens, woman, you have your camera with you. Shoot it!" And he posed so sweetly.

"Hiking's not for everyone. 
Notice the wilderness is mostly empty." 
-Sonja Yoerg

* My blog title today comes from a Hugh Grant movie, The Englishman Who Went Up a Mountain and Came Down a Hill.

Be well.







Comments

  1. I loved that movie with Hugh Grant. I enjoyed the short hike with you a lot. It was fun and the reward was well worth the effort.

    It was a much more pleasant hike than that Sunday morning we tried this ascent and aborted for lack of trail and hiking sticks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts