Looking Back: Mid-Week Memories

It all began as an innocent sighting...from a distance, a long way away, but I knew from that first moment that there was something here for me.


Of course, I had to take a closer look.  



And then I had my first ground glimpse; the first glimpse of The Tower. Just as I am apt to appreciate and admire fine looking bridges and buildings I knew at once that this structure would capture my imagination and my heart.

Every opportunity was taken to drive by and look...


From every possible angle...


And through the gaps in the landscape...


I inspected this tower from a distance, over and over...always anxious to go back for just one more encounter. 


There is good reason that this is the most visited monument on the planet.  Even though it was erected at the end of the 19th century to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution, it still holds a spell over the city and draws the people from around the world.  


For those who like a few facts with their photos:

This structure is 1063 feet to the top of its antenna.

Gustave Eiffel was the contractor but had an architect and structural engineers work with him on this project. 

There are only 2.5 million rivets holding this structure together.

On 2 separate occasions a con artist, Victor Lustig, 'sold' the tower for scrap metal.  

The original permit for the structure was to run out in 1909, 20 years after completion but as you can see the people of Paris finally fell in love with it and it stands today as a magnet to all romantics.

The fact remains that once you have seen The Eiffel Tower it is part of your heart.


Au revoir!  



Comments

  1. What a great post! ...and lovely photos. I love the Eiffel Tower... and look forward to seeing it again with you... hopefully going to the top for a view of the world from there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts