A Well Written Letter . . .

Recently I watched the movie, The Jane Austen Book Club, and from it gleaned a quote that twigged my heart and imagination.

"Let us never underestimate the power of a well written letter."  
-Karen Joy Fowler

From there I went hunting for well written love letters.  I know, there are many historical letters of a business nature that would qualify as well written and important but somehow I am more fond of a well written love letter than any other.  The following are portions of three of my favourite of all time:

In this first one, Winston Churchill is writing to his darling Clementine, after twenty-seven years of marriage. . .

"My darling Clemmie, in your letter from Madras you wrote some words very dear to me, about my having enriched your life.  I cannot tell you what pleasure this gave me, because I always feel so overwhelmingly in your debt, if there can be accounts in love. . .What it has been to me to live all these years in your heart and companionship, no phrases can convey."

This next letter is from the movie, "Notebook", between two young lovers. . .

"My Dearest Allie.  I couldn't sleep last night because I know that it's over between us.  I'm not bitter anymore, because I know that what we had was real.  And if in some distant place in the future we see each other in our new lives, I'll smile at you with joy and remember how we spent a summer beneath the trees, learning from each other and growing in love.  The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.  And that's what you've given me.  That's what I'd hoped to give to you forever.  I love you.  I'll be seeing you.  Noah"

And then, from one of my all time favourite movies, "Immortal Beloved", Beethoven writes to his beloved. . .

"Though still in bed, my thoughts go out to you, my Immortal Beloved.  Be calm - love me -today -yesterday - what tearful longings for you - you - you -my life -my all -farewell.  Oh continue to love me, never misjudge the most faithful heart of your beloved.  Ever thine,  Ever mine.  Ever ours."

Lovely, well written letters, right?





Comments

Popular Posts