Still Happy to be Grateful . . .

Here we are ready for the weekend with so much to be grateful for. I did mention last week that I would/could/should fill a month of gratitude postings. Found it not so easy when I was in town for two days this week but here I am back on my favourite subject. Gratitude.

I am grateful for my Mother.

This may be how many of you remember my Mother. What a pretty lady.


When I think of her, I think of pink. Pink roses, maybe, but mostly just pink. She has favoured that colour over the years.


Some time ago, I was talking with Mother and told her that I had started a list of things she had taught me. Oh, there was a silence on the other end of the phone and she said, Yes?

I used my smiling voice and let her know that I was only writing down the very best lessons she taught me. There would be nothing written down that she would not want to hear. I promised her that. And tonight I am grateful for these lessons.

I cannot say I have learned them all thoroughly... I have not. And those of you who know me well will know which life lessons I still am skirting around with a wary eye.

I am grateful Mother tried!

Things My Mother Taught Me:

1. Never marry a man to reform him!

2. Pick quality over quantity anytime.

3. Attitude is everything.

4. Rise and shine!!

5. We shall see . . .

6. When all else fails, sing a hymn.

7. Play comes after the work is done.

8. Efficiency reigns!

9. As does cleanliness and order.

10. Comfort comes out of the kitchen, dispensed liberally.

11. Follow through.

12. Keep your promises.

13. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

14. Do the task at hand.

There are most likely many more that I just have not remembered. The fact that Mother loves her children unconditionally is one of the most important gifts to us.

We celebrated her 95th in April. After all the dust settled I looked at my photos of the party day and found these interesting shots.

I don't know who picked up my camera and got these revealing photos but they are choice!!



Mother, thinking her own thoughts, not hearing the craziness going on around her in the room, just there with her girls.

This is one of my favourites of Mother and me.


And of Father and Mother...



Sweet...

I do wish we would have realized long, long ago how blessed we really were. Blessed in the important things in life. Too soon old, too late smart!



Comments

  1. What an awesome grateful list tonight. Another thing I believe you learned from your mother is caring. As I have watched how your mother cared for your father all his life and especially his last year, it was gracious and loving and endless.

    We are all getting older and I am grateful to have a sweetheart who is also caring. What a blessing to have a mother who is a great example. Thank you, mother.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts