Long-Time-Married Love

Just a week ago we had dinner with a group of people ranging in ages from wee babe to folks in their early 90's.

As we visited in the afternoon, the wife of the oldest couple, told us this story of her past week.

She said, "It was about 2 or 2:30 in the middle of the night and I lay in bed beside my husband of these many years worrying about this and that, trying to give it all over to the Lord, when all of a sudden I heard from the other side of the bed,

Lead me gently home, Father, lead me gently home...

It was quiet for a few moments and again I heard this soft singing,

Lead me gently home, Father, lead me gently home...

I felt a moment of panic and thought, Maybe he is dying?..."

That story has stayed with me all week and I think it the loveliest testimony to long-time-married love...two people laying side by side, both with thoughts of the Lord running through the threads of their night thoughts.

How sweet is that?

"Lead me gently home, Father, Lead me gently home,
When life's toils are ended, and parting days have come;
Sin no more shall tempt me, Ne'er from Thee I'll roam,
If Thoul't only lead me, Father, Lead me gently home.

Lead me gently home, Father, Lead me gently home.
In life's darkest hours, Father, when life's troubles come,
Keep my feet from wandering, Lest from Thee I roam,
Lest I fall upon the wayside, Lead me gently home."
                                -Will L. Thompson
                                     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts