This past week there have been a few conversations around here pertaining to ‘courage’. I had a complete blog ready to post on the subject. When I asked for ideas of photos that would show courage the husband laughed and told me I would have to take photos of more than flowers and sunsets if I expected to have anything pertinent in my files.
That was, unless I had pictures of British beer wagons, with the brand name ‘Courage’ emblazoned across their rears!!!
Well, that was the end of that endeavor…hurumph!
Next conversation happened around the moving of a bird house/feeder that had been abandoned by squirrels and needed cleaning out. Help, I said/asked…
With bucket and gloves ready I removed the first part of the house only to peer into a mess of old insulation, pieces of wood, some downy material and I mean, lots of it. It was at least 6” deep in the bottom of the feeder part of this house…again the subject of courage arose. We looked at each other and burst into laughter. Sherwin looked at me and said, you’re the one with the gloves. And I said, and you’re the one with the courage today, eh?
It seems around here we take turns at courage and strength to help each other out. Sometimes I find myself more helpful to the joint cause and sometimes he shows his strengths.
This does seem a serious subject for the middle of a warm summer when all we are looking for is coolness and light but...
Back to courage…and not the British beer either…I have for you 13 quips, quotes and whatnot re: the above subject.
1.Courage doesn't always roar…sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says, I'll try again tomorrow.
2.Life is mostly froth and bubble;
Two things stand like stone:
Kindness in another's trouble
Courage in our own.
-Adam Lindsey Gordon
3.What makes a king out of a slave? Courage!
What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage!
What makes the elephant charge his tusk, in the
misty mist or the dusky dusk?
What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage!
-Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz
4. You gain strength, experience and confidence by every experience where you really stop to look fear in the face . . . You must do the thing you cannot do.
5. …courage and intelligence are the two qualifications best worth a good man's cultivation… -Robert Louis Stevenson
6.Every man of courage is a man of his word. -Pierre Corneille
7.Heroism is endurance for one moment more. –Kennan
8. This is the mark of a really admirable man: steadfastness in the face of trouble.
9. But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it. –Thucydides
10. It is a fine thing to face machine guns for immortality and a medal, but isn't it a fine thing, too, to face calumny, injustice and loneliness for the truth which makes men free? -H.L. Mencken
11. I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self. -Aristotle
12.Money lost, nothing lost; courage lost, everything lost.
13. To reveal ourselves honestly takes the rarest kind of courage.
My wish to you all is the best brand of courage...
the courage you need at the moment you need it!
-Dr. Seuss Wanna-be!
For more of Thursday 13 participants, click here.