94!!! Wow!!!!

Opal Ruth Bechthold Kandt
April 5, 1919

Today marks Mother's 94th birthday.  

It is not easy to honour someone you love when we are so far apart.  I can talk to her on the phone and I can have flowers delivered to her but she is way over there and I am way down here.  

How do I tell her she is loved?  Over the past few years I have compiled a list of things I think she taught me, not only when I was growing up at home but from observation of how she has lived her life.

My list is brief but I am thankful for all of it.

1.    Choose quality over quantity.

2.    Attitude is everything.

3.    Rise and shine.

4.    When all else fails, sing a hymn.

5.    Never marry a man to reform him.

6.    Play comes after the work is done.

7.    Efficiency reigns!

8.    So does cleanliness and order.

9.    Comfort comes out of the kitchen, dispensed liberally.

10.  Follow through.

11.  Keep your promises.

12.  Say what you mean and mean what you say and if you can't say anything nice, be quiet!

For all of you who know me, you know I am still absorbing and refining some of these qualities and ideas but Mother was a great example.  Someone worth copying!

Happy Birthday, Mother.  This will come to you late but I was out playing today!!


God bless, dear Mother, and be well.


Comments

  1. Thank you Shirley for that tribute to mother on her birthday.

    It is interesting how we all change over time.

    When we first got married and people said, "If you want to know what your wife will be like in 25 years, just look at her mother.

    At that time I sure did not want you to be like her...

    but today I feel totally different... and I don't mind at all that you have turned out to be quite a bit like her.

    And as I watched your mother take care of her husband in his last days it was a thing of beauty.

    You have a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great list of things you learned from Grandma! That was good to read.

    After reading #6, I had a little chuckle that you were out playing today! She would love that too.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you know our work is Never done!! Big Smile!

      Delete
  3. Lovely comments, a wonderful tribute to your mother--who I think is such an outstanding lady. She called me the other day as I had sent her a card and we had a nice little chat--such great memories I have of both your parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne...memories are a marvellous thing. The older we get the more precious.

      Delete
  4. great list Ma! yes, I feel pretty lucky to have gotten the next generation of those values.. Especially the "re-interpretation" of the dread #6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing how you and your sister both mention #6...groan!!!! Yes, it is up to each generation to re-interpret those values and make them work for the times!

      Go play and have some fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts