Opal Ruth Bechthold Kandt
April 5, 1919
Today marks Mother's 94th birthday.
It is not easy to honour someone you love when we are so far apart. I can talk to her on the phone and I can have flowers delivered to her but she is way over there and I am way down here.
How do I tell her she is loved? Over the past few years I have compiled a list of things I think she taught me, not only when I was growing up at home but from observation of how she has lived her life.
My list is brief but I am thankful for all of it.
1. Choose quality over quantity.
2. Attitude is everything.
3. Rise and shine.
4. When all else fails, sing a hymn.
5. Never marry a man to reform him.
6. Play comes after the work is done.
7. Efficiency reigns!
8. So does cleanliness and order.
9. Comfort comes out of the kitchen, dispensed liberally.
10. Follow through.
11. Keep your promises.
12. Say what you mean and mean what you say and if you can't say anything nice, be quiet!
For all of you who know me, you know I am still absorbing and refining some of these qualities and ideas but Mother was a great example. Someone worth copying!
Happy Birthday, Mother. This will come to you late but I was out playing today!!
God bless, dear Mother, and be well.