Simply Sabbath...



There is a story in the book of Mark (5:25-35) of a woman who was looking to Jesus for healing.  She had it in her mind that all she had to do was touch Him, His coat, any part of Him and she would be well.

This may sound somewhat superstitious but her heart was in it and she made her way through the crowd surrounding Jesus, touched His coat and immediately she knew she was healed.  Quietly and quickly she tried to get away.  She didn't want any fuss made over her and she knew Jesus was a busy man but no, He turned and found her.  And then she falls on her knees before Him at His feet and confesses her need of His power.

Beautiful story . . . possibly more beautiful to women than men.  And yet, whomever you are, the story has something for all of us.  I found that until I was ready to fall on my face at the feet of Jesus and cry out my need to Him it was all hard work.  Something changes in your heart when you can humble yourself at His feet and admit you don't have what it takes to make yourself whole.

There is a very old song that I heard a lot when I was a young girl that I thought of immediately when I was reminded of this story this week.

"She only touched the hem of His garment
As to His side she stole
Amid the crowd that gathered around Him;
And straightway she was whole.

Oh, touch the hem of His garment!
And, thou too shalt be free!
His saving power, this very hour
Shall give new life to thee!"  
-  George F. Root

Wishing you all a beautiful Sabbath.
Be well.



Comments

Popular Posts