Two Wanna-be Artists on a Snoop

Just a week ago Sherwin and I visited the Tucson Museum of Art.  We had no idea what was showing at the time.  Of course, there would always be the standing exhibits that you can see whenever you visit but we were delighted to see a large exhibit of photos taken of Frida Kahlo by Nikolas Muray, a famous photographer who was also one of her lovers.  

There was a documentary running that we viewed for over half an hour but did not see it all.  So when I got back to the hotel I was curious to look at her art work which I googled up.  In my life I have never seen so many self-portraits.  


"I leave you my portrait 
so that you will have my presence 
all the days and nights that I am away from you."  
-Frida Kahlo

She must have been afraid that we would forget her. . .  there are many self-portraits in her portfolio (click on the word portfolio to see!) 

Her husband, Diego Rivera, whom she married twice in between many other lovers of both genders, was well known for his realistic paintings of the Mexican people, his large murals in New York City, San Francisco among others, and his painting colony he hosted in Mexico City.


Two years ago when we cruised the Panama Canal one of the stops was Acupulco where we took a tour and went past the house of Diego Rivera.  This mosaic graces his front gate.  

"There have been two great accidents in my life.  
One was the trolley, and the other was Diego.  
Diego was by far the worst." 
 - F. Kahlo

It was, by far, the most educational time spent in Tucson...and if, perchance, you want to see more of her life, you can always see the movie, "Frida".



Enjoy and be well...



Comments

Popular Posts