Thought on Thursday


Over the years my collection of hymnals has grown...actually, I have quit looking at used book stores for yet another treasure.  Hymns are one of my favorite forms of music.  I like the big, majestic, God-is-bigger-than-me hymns, the organ-and-orchestra-coming-together-for-a-mighty-statement hymns, all to the glory of God.

There are also the peaceful, heart searching kind of hymns and we both love those too.  One of Sherwin's favorite hymns, which he will request whenever possible, is "Let Your Heart Be Broken".  It comes with 5 verses but starts out this way:

Let your heart be broken for a world in need:
Feed the mouths that hunger, soothe the wounds that bleed,
Give the cup of water and the loaf of bread. . .
Be the hands of Jesus, serving in his stead.

The other verses end with these thoughts. . .

Be the means through which the Lord reveals His grace.

In the world's great trouble, Risk yourself for God.

and the very end says, Give and give again.

Very often I will find a hymn that originated as scripture which I love.  From the photo on my header you can already imagine one of my favorites.

The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want;
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green; He leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again.
And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
E'en for His own name's sake.

There is more than one version of this scripture put to music. . .

This one ends like this. . .

And in God's house forevermore my dwelling place shall be.


Tell me, what is your favorite music, favorite song, who is your favorite composer?

Comments

Popular Posts